The University Christian Union (UCU) provides intentional Christian community housing to students attending the University of Washington. Located a block north of campus, UCU provides prepared meals and most rooms are doubles. The men’s house contains 27 students and the women’s house contains 18 students. At any time, you may contact the House Presidents to arrange an informal tour, which usually takes 30 minutes.
The following are requirements to apply:
Faith in Jesus Christ
Full-time, undergraduate, student (minimum 12 credits/quarter) attending the University of Washington
Attend Monday night Bible study and business meeting
Attend Fall Retreat
Perform assigned weekly chores
Must agree to House Rules
Desire to live in community with other believers in Christ
Room and Board Rates for 2023/2024 School Year
Room and Board Charge (per quarter): $3,600
On-Time, Full Payment Discount: $50
Rate with On-Time Payment: $3,550
*Social dues determined by students are not included in this charge (typically ~$50/quarter)
**A security deposit of $600 is also required
Steps to Apply
1. Submit Application – Complete the online Application Form, which includes a questionnaire about you.
2. Letter of Recommendation – A Christian leader (e.g., pastor or youth leader) who knows you and is not a relative must fill out a Recommendation Form. Note that you are responsible for ensuring your reference completes the recommendation – we can only consider your application once all parts are submitted.
3. Application Fee – A non-refundable $50 application fee is required. You may contact the Alumni Board to inquire about available spots before paying.
4. Interview – Once the first three steps are completed, we will arrange an interview with the House Presidents and an Alumni Admissions Volunteer. The interview typically takes a half hour and can be followed with a tour of the house if the applicant wishes.
5. Securing Your spot – After completing the above steps and if a spot is available, you will be asked to (a) email a signed Rules Agreement Form to the Alumni Board and (b) mail a $600 security deposit made out to University Christian Union. Your spot will be secured when both are received.